Fellow Food Fiends

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Chowhound Burger Wagon

Koopers Chowhound Burger Wagon - Food Truck    Ghost Rating  72/100

Chowhound is Baltimore's very first food truck, every time I see them parked somewhere they have a line of hungry locals waiting for what's well known as a great burger. Kooper's Tavern has been voted "Best Burger in Baltimore" by Baltimore Magazine and the many hungry patrons that line up daily would agree. They often park at Under Armour and other busy locations with high anticipation from all the workers and foodies in that area.

A couple of days back we tracked Koopers on a food truck website and found them right across the street from Under Armour. I was excited to see they had a Kobe Burger on the menu and some exciting toppings..I was a little bit skeptical though because the price was really low for Wagyu. However, I see Kobe and I have to have it...so I ordered a Kobe Beef Burger with Aged Cheddar and Bacon, Medium Rare. To my regret, I opened my bag and what I received was a well done Black Angus Burger with Pepper jack and Raw Onions. Even if that was the burger I ordered, I would have been highly let down. The burger was cooked to a crisp, had no flavor and was under seasoned, the cheese wasn't melted at all and the bun was an un-toasted, Sysco Kaiser Roll. If that is Baltimore's Best Burger then we are in BIG trouble. I had waited 20 minutes for my burger, walked back to the car and realized it was the wrong burger. The truck was so far away by then and I was hungrier than ever. I figured what better way to over analyze this place than to eat something i didn't even order and critique the %%#$ out of it. First of all the guy that took my order had no clue what customer service is, he was clearly burnt out. He informed me that they were out of the french fries (by noon) and I peer inside to see 2 cooks devouring french fries and smiling, at least they enjoyed some. I skipped the side items and went for the beef. It was an overall disappointment from the service to the final product. I am a HUGE fan of food trucks, but Koopers missed the mark that day.
I would love to give them another chance because it seems the potential is there. If you see them around, give it a shot, maybe I was just unlucky that day....

Food  -  65   /   Service  -  60   /   Atmosphere  -  NA   /   Value  -  90
Overall Ghost Rating  -  72/100

Baltimore has an online Food Truck Tracker that I use often..it's www.foodtrucksmap.com/baltimore/alltrucks 





No comments:

Post a Comment